Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sweet Potato Recipes

Sweet Potato Pie (Don't pay attention to the name. This is the yummiest dish of Sweet Potatoes Ever!)
- 3 c mashed yams
- ½ c sugar (substitute xagave or splenda)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla (I have this powdered kind that is to die for!)
- ¼ c milk
- ½ c butter (I've put less and not margarine!)

Mix in casserole dish. Set oven to 350 degrees.

Topping (Mix like strudel):
- 1/3 c flour
- 1c brown sugar
- 1 c chopped nuts
- 1/3 c butter

(or you could just drizzle xagave on top with nuts after you bake it--I haven't tried it this way though)

Sprinkle on top of yams and bake for 30 min

Sweet Potatoes with Applesauce

6 medium yams, peeled & cut into cubes
1.5 c applesauce
2/3 c brown sugar (I used Xagave)
3 TB butter, melted (I used about 2)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c nuts (toasted)

Place yams in slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients except nuts; spoon over yams. cover and cook on low heat setting 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. sprinkle with nuts!

Creamy Split Pea Soup (Very delicious)

2 c dried split peas
6 c H2O
1/2 c apple juice
1 large yam, peeled and cubed (2 c)
1 large onion chopped
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp salt
3 c firmly packed fresh spinach leaves (i throw in a handful of frozen)
1 c cream (I use milk, and it's still delicious)
2 T chopped fresh dill (I use dried)
fresh ground pepper to taste

Mix peas, water , juice, sweet potato, onion, garlic, and salt in slow cooker. cover and cook on low for up to 10-11 hours or till peas are tender.

Stir in spinach, cream (or milk), and dill weed. Cover and cook on low for 30 plus minutes or till spinach is wilted (I serve immediatly-not patient, and my spinach is frozen). Season with pepper. This is sooo good!


Another very healthy option for a sweet potato (or yam) is to just bake it like a potato and eat it. It is really good just like that without anything on it! Why am I in to yams, you ask, because I bought 60 lbs at 25 cents a pound--they store better than potatoes, I hear, and they are delicious!

Jenni

No comments: